Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Granola

Granola is such an easy thing to make, I typically like to make ours. I can't conceive spending over $3 on something that can be made for less than $1. And, call me crazy, but I like to have control over the amounts of oil and sugar I give to my children.
So, obviously this recipe can be modified pretty easily. I change it up, depending on my mood, what we have in the house, or what I plan on doing with it.

Granola

1c. rolled oats
1/2c. coarsely chopped walnuts (or whatever nut you like)
1/4c. dried coconut, shredded, unsweetened
1/4c. sunflower seeds
2 tbsp. wheat germ
1/4c. agave nectar, honey or maple syrup
1tbsp. safflower oil (or any cooking oil)

Combine oats, nuts, coconut, seeds, and wheat germ. Stir together sweetener and oil; stir into oat mixture. Spread onto greased baking sheet. Bake at 300 for 30-35 minutes (stir after 20 minutes).

Spread onto foil to cool. Break into clumps. Store 1 week.
If you want to add fruit to your granola, add immediately upon removing from oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment